C/C++ Compilers Combine Certified Safety with Highest 64-bit Performance and Programmer Productivity for the World's Most Critical Software
Santa Barbara, CA /PRNewswire/ - Green Hills Software, the largest independent software vendor for the Internet of Things (IoT), today announced its latest Optimizing C and C++ compilers, version 2017.5, for the world's leading 32-bit and 64-bit embedded processor architectures, including Arm®, Intel® and Power Architecture®. Highlights include up to 30% higher performance, expanded C++ capabilities and more compatibility with third-party tools. At the heart of unlocking a processor core's capabilities, the compilers, tool chain and MULTI® integrated development environment (IDE), continue their 35-year heritage as the premium code generation standard trusted by thousands of global companies creating critical software systems requiring the highest processor execution speed and smallest code size within the shortest software development time.
The C/C++ Compilers 2017.5 are already in heavy use by global companies' software-critical devices and systems in automotive, aerospace, storage, medical, military, industrial and personal communication markets, to name a few.
"As embedded systems become more complex, more connected, and more exposed, the value of quality and secure software is placed at an even greater premium," said Chris Rommel, Executive Vice President at VDC Research. "In order to meet today's development and time-to-market challenges, engineers should turn to proven compiler technology leaders like Green Hills Software, which has a track record of delivering premium solutions for complex and safety-critical markets."
Over its 35-year history, Green Hills Optimizing Compilers have implemented both general-purpose compiler optimizations and CPU-specific optimizations to enable C and C++ developers to extract the most from purpose-built features of 37 processor architectures. Compiler 2017.5 supports the leading embedded architectures including Arm, Intel, Power Architecture, Renesas RH850, MIPS, ColdFire and TriCore™, delivering the highest performance to date:
- Maximum performance is up to 30% higher as measured over hundreds of industry and customer benchmarks, besting results from GNU and LLVM compilers
- New support keeping pace with the latest architecture extensions for Armv8-A, Armv8-R and Armv8-M, including new security instructions
- Improved control and utilization of CPU pipeline architectures, floating point optimizations and opcode utilization
- Enhanced control for auto-vectorization of leading SIMD instruction extensions including Arm NEON and Intel Streaming SIMD Extensions (SSE)
Processor manufacturers have chosen Green Hills compilers more than all other competing compilers when publishing their highest performance scores on their processors using EEMBC® Processor Benchmarks – the industry standard benchmarks for embedded systems.
Certified Safety and Reliability
Life-critical software is assuming more and more control of embedded and IoT devices that fly aircraft, brake a car, control surgical robots or manage hard disk drives. Development teams rely on a C/C++ compiler that produces machine code with the utmost quality, rigorously developed and meticulously tested in an accredited software process environment.
- The preceding version, 2017.1, of the Green Hills C/C++ Optimizing Compilers are certified as qualified tools at the highest levels of functional safety for automotive (ISO 26262 ASIL D), industrial (IEC 61508 SIL 3) and railway (EN 50128 SWSIL 4).
- In addition, the integrated single-pass MISRA-C adherence checker gives development teams a flexible means to prevent new bugs and enforce cleaner, higher-quality code.
- Green Hills compilers are also tightly integrated into the DoubleCheck™ static analysis tool that performs full program analysis in a single pass, finding bugs caused by complex interactions between pieces of code across many source files.
Compatibility and Productivity
The software development phase is often the most costly portion of developing an embedded system or IoT product. C/C++ Compilers 2017.5 add new features and under-the-hood technology that can ultimately decrease time-to-market and time-to-volume:
- As the popularity of third party tools that automatically generate code grows, Green Hills compilers have greatly expanded its maximum number of user sections and internal number of variables
- Greater compatibility and flexibility when linking with third-party code through the Arm Application Binary Interface (ABI)
- Enhanced visibility for third-party libraries to detect vector optimizations in use
- Enhanced support for various C++ language constructs
Green Hills C/C++ Optimizing Compiler 2017.5 is available today for Arm, Intel, Power Architecture, Renesas RH850, TriCore, MIPS and ColdFire architectures.
About Green Hills Software
Founded in 1982, Green Hills Software is the largest independent software vendor for the Internet of Things (IoT). In 2008, the Green Hills INTEGRITY-178 RTOS was the first and only operating system to be certified by NIAP (National Information Assurance Partnership comprised of NSA & NIST) to EAL 6+, High Robustness, the highest level of security ever achieved for any software product. Our open architecture integrated development solutions address deeply embedded, absolute security and high-reliability applications for the military/avionics, medical, industrial, automotive, networking, consumer and other markets that demand industry-certified solutions. Green Hills Software is headquartered in Santa Barbara, CA with European headquarters in the United Kingdom. Visit Green Hills Software at www.ghs.com.
Green Hills, the Green Hills logo, INTEGRITY, MULTI and DoubleCheck are trademarks or registered trademarks of Green Hills Software, in the U.S. and/or internationally. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.